top of page


What is the difference between a SCITT and a Traditional PGCE course?

SCITT courses are school based and therefore trainees spend more time in school than on a traditional PGCE course.  SCITT trainees still spend four days with Leeds Trinity University, working on the academic element of the course, but this is vastly reduced in comparison to the traditional PGCE.


What do QTS and PGCE qualifications mean?

The outcome of the SCITT course is a PGCE (SCITT) with QTS and 60 masters’ credits.

You need to obtain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) to be able to teach in a maintained school in the UK. With a Post Graduate Certificate in Education you will be able to teach in other countries.

Can I work while I study?

This is not recommended at all. Teacher training is a full time, very demanding course and trainees are often required to do additional work outside normal school hours. You simply won’t have time to work as well.



How do I apply?

Applications are made via the online Apply website. More details can be found here (link coming soon) 

add this link


My qualifications are from outside the UK, am I still able to apply for this course?

Yes, but we will need to see your certificates and obtain a statement of comparability from ENIC.  For more information, click here

Can I apply if I don't know my degree grade yet?

Absolutely, you can still apply but an offer would be conditional on successful completion of your degree.

Why do I have to provide two references?

To give training providers an informed assessment of your ability to become a teacher.



Who should be my referee?

It will depend on your experience and the training programme you are applying for.

Here are some tips:

  • If you are still at university or have obtained your degree within the past five years, one reference must be from someone at your university who can comment on your academic ability and potential.

  • The other reference can be from someone who knows you from work or who can comment on your character and your potential as a teacher.

  • If you left university more than five years ago, you can choose two referees who know you from work or can comment on how suitable you are for teaching. You can still use an academic referee if you think that is the right thing for you.

  • If you are providing a reference from a school where you have been employed or have done classroom observation, it should generally come from the head teacher.

  • You must not use family members, friends, partners or ex-partners as referees.



How do I track my application?

As soon as we receive your application, we will contact you to acknowledge it and will be in touch again very quickly after that.

bottom of page